Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Missing my Daddy

I suppose it's time to share a bit about my dad.
He was my best friend in so many ways.
He was the life of the party.
(Once you got him there)
When he loved something it was with every inch of him.
There was no halfway with him.
He loved my brother and I with the love of a mother bear for her cub.

I would share so many stories of his heroism in my life.

But I can't.
Not right now.
But I will share something that bothers me everyday.

I am unloading the dishwasher;
I look at a drinking glass that my dad gave Hubby a couple of years back.

He gave him a set actually--
of 007 James Bond drinking glasses.

(I found this pic on a classifieds site called Kijiji. I might have to buyit.)

Hubby and my Dad share the love of James Bond.

The glasses were my dad's favourites and they're nice and big for us for meal times.

Since moving we now have a new dishwasher which does a great job;

no complaints--except that the decals on my dad's glasses are being washed away and fading with each wash.

Fading.
Just like I feel he has done.
Just as the disease took him from vibrant to gray.

(my father battled ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease for 3 years)

Just like he is now faded out of our reach.

I turn the glass over in my hand and consider packing them up for safe keeping....
but dad wouldn't want me to.
They were his favourites and everyone in the family has used them.
Dad gave them to Hubby 'cause he knew he'd love them.
Yes they're fading but we think of him everytime we get a drink-
James Bond or no James Bond.
Just like James, Dad has just gone onto his next assignment.
I guess I'm just going to have to get used to that.

No comments: